Ursus is a primarily industrial district lying on the capital’s outskirts, with most of its residents being middle-class families. Yet it serves as the capital’s strategic gateway to international rail and road networks, linking Warsaw to the rest of the world through east-west and north-south routes. The district has one of the lowest crime rates in Warsaw.
Ursus is a highly urban borough with 20 percent of its land area set aside for industrial use. On-going housing projects include improvements to infrastructure.
Modernization in the area came in the 1920s when factories and housing estates were built. Once called Czechowice, its name was changed to Ursus in 1954. Ursus has schools, two parks, and several sports facilities including sports fields in campuses, with indoor swimming pools and saunas. It has its own cinema, art galleries and museums.