Lying near Poland’s eastern neighbours, Rembertów was formerly a residential settlement for those who worked for the Warsaw-Moscow Railway. This rural portion of Warsaw only became part of the city in 1957, as part of the bigger borough of Praga Południe. It became a district in 2002. Most homes here are low-rise villas and flats, with facilities for sports, fitness and leisure. A quarter of this thinly populated district is forest.
The Rembertów-Okuniew Forest is in the possession of the Polish Army. Its wild environs, especially its wetlands, are the training ground for the military. The National Defense University has been Poland’s highest military educational centre since the 19th century.