Capital Gains Tax (Effective) in Venezuela compared to Latin America
Venezuela: Capital gains taxes (%).
In arriving at effective capital gains tax rates, the Global Property Guide makes the following assumptions:
- The property is directly and jointly owned by husband and wife;
- They have owned it for 10 years;
- It is their only source of capital gains in the country
- It has appreciated in value by 100% over the 10 years to sale
- The property was worth US$250,000 or 250,000 at purchase.
- It is not their sole or principal residence.
These assumptions are critical. In many countries a holding period of less than 5 years results in capital gains being taxable. But a longer holding period often results in no capital gains tax being payable. For more details see the Data FAQ
Source: Global Property Guide Research, Contributing Accounting Firms
Venezuela has no house price statistics, but there are construction cost time-series at the Banco Central de Venezuela site, which also has general statistics. There are also statistics at the Instituto Nacional de Estadist'ca under the Ministerio del Poder Popular para la Planificaci'n y Desarrollo.