Capital Gains Tax (Effective) - Panama Compared to Latin America
Panama: Capital gains taxes (%).
In arriving at effective capital gains tax rates, the Global Property Guide makes the following assumptions:
- The property is directly and jointly owned by husband and wife;
- They have owned it for 10 years;
- It is their only source of capital gains in the country
- It has appreciated in value by 100% over the 10 years to sale
- The property was worth US$250,000 or 250,000 at purchase.
- It is not their sole or principal residence.
These assumptions are critical. In many countries a holding period of less than 5 years results in capital gains being taxable. But a longer holding period often results in no capital gains tax being payable. For more details see the Data FAQ
Source: Global Property Guide Research, Contributing Accounting Firms
Panama has no house price statistics. Panama has some very basic financial statistics at the Superintendencia de Bancos de Panam'. General statistics are to be found at the Direccion de Estad'stica y Censo under the Controlar'a General de la Rep'blica de Panam', which also has links to a number of other data areas with time-series.