Rental Income Tax (Effective) in Portugal compared to Europe
|Bosnia & H.||10.00%|
Portugal: Rental income taxes (%).
The tax levied on the average annual income on a rental apartment/property in the country.
- Gross rental income is /US$1,500/month
- The property is personally directly owned jointly by husband and wife
- Both owners are foreigners and non-residents
- They have no other local income
- There is no mortgage, i.e., no loan is taken for the purchase
In arriving at the pre-tax profit figure, we calculate, and deduct:
- Depreciation / capital allowances if available. We assume a value for the apartment based on our valuation research, and depreciate on this basis.
We deduct any other costs which a landlord normally pays - management charges, buildings insurance, realtor agency fees, etc. We either choose a standard percentage deduction (if available) or typical actually incurred costs. If real estate tax is normally payable by the landlord, we deduct that.
Our rental income tax figures are provided by accountants (see list of contributors). For more details see the Data FAQ.
Source: Global Property Guide Research, Contributing Accounting Firms
Portugal releases the average value of bank evaluations on housing, through the Instituto Nacional de Estatistica. The Bank for International Settlements has mean value, in euro per square meter, of credit evaluations of all dwellings carried out by banks, which originally came from the Banco Portugal.
General economics statistics are available from Instituto Nacional de Estatistica and Banco Portugal.