Capital Gains Tax (Effective) in Portugal compared to Europe
|Bosnia & H.||10.00%|
Portugal: Capital gains taxes (%).
In arriving at effective capital gains tax rates, the Global Property Guide makes the following assumptions:
- The property is directly and jointly owned by husband and wife;
- They have owned it for 10 years;
- It is their only source of capital gains in the country
- It has appreciated in value by 100% over the 10 years to sale
- The property was worth US$250,000 or 250,000 at purchase.
- It is not their sole or principal residence.
These assumptions are critical. In many countries a holding period of less than 5 years results in capital gains being taxable. But a longer holding period often results in no capital gains tax being payable. For more details see the Data FAQ
Source: Global Property Guide Research, Contributing Accounting Firms
Portugal releases the average value of bank evaluations on housing, through the Instituto Nacional de Estatistica. The Bank for International Settlements has mean value, in euro per square meter, of credit evaluations of all dwellings carried out by banks, which originally came from the Banco Portugal.
General economics statistics are available from Instituto Nacional de Estatistica and Banco Portugal.