Capital Gains Tax (Effective) in Latvia compared to Europe
|Bosnia & H.||10.00%|
Latvia: Capital gains taxes (%).
In arriving at effective capital gains tax rates, the Global Property Guide makes the following assumptions:
- The property is directly and jointly owned by husband and wife;
- They have owned it for 10 years;
- It is their only source of capital gains in the country
- It has appreciated in value by 100% over the 10 years to sale
- The property was worth US$250,000 or 250,000 at purchase.
- It is not their sole or principal residence.
These assumptions are critical. In many countries a holding period of less than 5 years results in capital gains being taxable. But a longer holding period often results in no capital gains tax being payable. For more details see the Data FAQ
Source: Global Property Guide Research, Contributing Accounting Firms
Latvia generates monthly average apartment prices, issued by private entities, Arco Real Estate and Ober Haus. The Central Statistical Bureau of Latvia started producing annual average house prices in 2004 but stopped in 2009. High quality general economics statistics for Latvia are published by the Bank of Latvia and the Central Statistical Bureau of Latvia.