Rental Income Tax (Effective) in Hong Kong compared to Asia
Hong Kong: Rental income taxes (%).
The tax levied on the average annual income on a rental apartment/property in the country.
- Gross rental income is /US$1,500/month
- The property is personally directly owned jointly by husband and wife
- Both owners are foreigners and non-residents
- They have no other local income
- There is no mortgage, i.e., no loan is taken for the purchase
In arriving at the pre-tax profit figure, we calculate, and deduct:
- Depreciation / capital allowances if available. We assume a value for the apartment based on our valuation research, and depreciate on this basis.
We deduct any other costs which a landlord normally pays - management charges, buildings insurance, realtor agency fees, etc. We either choose a standard percentage deduction (if available) or typical actually incurred costs. If real estate tax is normally payable by the landlord, we deduct that.
Our rental income tax figures are provided by accountants (see list of contributors). For more details see the Data FAQ.
Source: Global Property Guide Research, Contributing Accounting Firms
Hong Kong has good quality housing statistics. The Ratings and Valuation Department releases monthly Hong Kong Property Review which has data on house prices, rent, yield, completion, forecast completion and sales transactions. Excellent economics data are available from the Hong Kong Census and Statistics Department.